Monday, February 8, 2010

a review.

I've been reading a lot lately, and it feels good.



Book: Velvet Elvis
Finished: Early January

I realize I’m late hopping on the Rob Bell train, and to be honest, I’m not sure I’m fully on board with everything the guy says. (Church marketing makes you want to vomit, Rob? I find that hard to believe.) But Velvet Elvis was all I had been told it was. It challenged my faith and got me thinking about the Christian tradition. The last chapter alone is worth printing out and saving; I love it when the theological becomes the practical.

---


Book: The Likeness
Finished: mid-January

It was my month to host book club, and since French’s Into the Woods had been a favorite of mine, I chose The Likeness for our pick of the month. It read like a good episode of Law and Order, only even better. It’s a worthy piece of fiction, and some director should buy the rights to the movie, stat. The book alone made me jumpy all week. (*Note: plenty of language in this one. You have been warned.)

---


Book: The Pleasure of My Company
Finished: Early February

I’ve been wanting to read Steve Martin’s stuff for a while, so when a friend at church let me borrow one of his novels, I was excited—and slightly anxious. There is pressure involved when you borrow a book from someone. Obviously they love it enough to lend it; if you don’t like it, what do you say? Luckily, that won’t be an issue, since I really, really loved this book. I’ll tell you what I told my friend: After I finished the last page, I just was filled with this feeling of I’m really, really glad I read this. Highly recommend.

---


Book: Girl Meets God
Finished: Early February

This is one of those books you read and savor; I’m a fast reader (I finished The Pleasure of My Company in less than a week), but I’ve happily “chewed” on Winner’s words for about a month. The memoir of an Orthodox Jew who converted to Christianity, Girl Meets God has opened my eyes to those aspects of Judaism that I think Christians threw away too quickly. (Anyone up for a Passover meal?) It’s also reminded me of the absolute beauty that can be found in a life tangled with Christ. Again, highly recommend.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Girl Meets God is a favorite favorite of mine. And I have In the Woods on my "to read" shelf!