Thursday, April 15, 2010

reading recap: march.

See previous recaps here and here.


Book: Savannah Law
Finished: Early March

I've mentioned before, but in my line of work, I occasionally have to review legal books for our organization's magazine. Mostly I just revise recaps provided by various public relations firms, but every once in a while, a fiction book comes through the mail, and I take advantage. Savannah Law was one of those, and I've got to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not all lawyers can write, but I feel like this author did a fine job of holding my interest and keeping me entertained throughout the novel's various twists and turns.

---

Book: 29 Gifts
Finished: Early March

March's book club read led me to a month of my own giving. (You can read the start of my giving journey here.) Cami Walker does an excellent job of explaining her illness and how her month of giving literally changed her life. This was the perfect book club read; it led to excellent, thought-provoking discussion, and chapters were short and sweet for easy reading. Plus, my own 29 days has provided an endless education. Highly recommend.

---

Finished: Early March

This month must have been the month of bettering myself, because I feel like I read a lot of books telling me how to better live my life. None of these books, though, fall into the self-help genre, nor did they make me feel bad about the life I'm living. Instead, they encouraged and inspired me to be the best person I can be. I've long loved Donald Miller (I'm a huge fan of Blue Like Jazz), but A Million Miles is definitely a completely separate work from his other books. It's almost like Miller grew up a little, and the result is this insightful take on living an adventure for the Father. I liked this book so much that we did our March chew* chat on it, and I find myself daily asking the question: "Am I telling a worthy story?"

---


Book: The Happiness Project
Finished: Early April

I spent most of March wrapped up in this book by Gretchen Rubin. I wouldn't call it an easy read (it took me most of the month), but I doubt it was meant to be. Rubin explores the true meaning of happiness by resolving to monthly complete a set of tasks and principles designed to make her life happier. Unlike 29 Gifts, I haven't embarked on my own happiness project after reading Rubin's book. However, I've begun to ask myself some of the same questions Rubin asks herself throughout the book, and I think the book is already making a difference in how I live my life. If you want a book that you can read bit-by-bit (in a way similar to Walker's, Rubin divides her book up into 12 months, a chapter per month), this would be a great choice.

No comments: