Monday, June 14, 2010

political marketing 101.


Aside from being approximately 100+ degrees every day, it's also the time of year here in Tallahassee when political campaign signs start popping up every which way. But hey, I'm not complaining. At least Florida residents don't have to listen to this guy every five minutes. (Seriously, have you seen his ads? In the words of Rachael Ray: Yuck-o.)

Years spent in Florida's capital city have made me almost immune to the deluge of advertisements, bumper stickers, commercials, and signs.

Until today.

When I kept seeing this teal and green logo mile after mile.

And I just have to say: Kristin Dozier is a marketing genius.

Or at least better than your average bear.

First of all: If I ever run for any political office (fear not), I will use circle-shaped signs. You'd think it'd be common sense. Nobody ever uses a different shape other than a stodgy-looking rectangle, yet some how I've never noticed. Until Dozier pulls out the big guns and gives us a circle.

And let me tell you, seeing her signs every few minutes of my drive home today was almost like watching polka dots float in the yard.

Polka dots.

I'm tempted to vote for her on that reason alone.

Seriously, though, between the shape of her signs, the type she selected, and the colors she used, I've spend the past 30 minutes researching Kristin Dozier and subsequently the Miccosukee Land Co-Op (What can I say? I'm a hippie at heart). And she's running for county commission. I assure you, not something I normally care about in the slightest.

Surely that in itself is a victory for her campaign team.

And now I ask you: Would you ever vote for someone based purely on aesthetics? Does it play a role in your voting process at all? Do you even care about campaign marketing and advertising, or do you stick to the party line?

Oh the nonsense that fills my head...

No comments: