Thursday, February 25, 2010

assurance.

This morning, I got a phone call.

I thought it was the one I’d been waiting for.

You know, the one letting me know I was smart, talented, and the perfect fit for graduate school.

It wasn’t.

Instead, it was a member of my church group letting me know she’d be able to bring brownies for a luncheon we’re having Sunday.

Talk about a let down.

I feel like my trust in God is being pushed to the limits lately. Like I’m walking through a foggy forest. I can see the distant shadow of what’s in front of me but can’t quite make out the details. All I can do is put one foot in front of the other and keep making the journey.

Jordan and I are experiencing so many ups and downs. As we watch other married couples buy houses and put down roots, put out the kids and roll in the big bucks, we wonder: What is He going to do with us?

The answer is never clear.

It never has been.

But last Wednesday night, as we discussed a potential job opportunity, we realized: Neither of us thought Tallahassee.

We both fought tooth and nail to not come here, to not let this become part of our adventure together.

And my eyes welled up with tears at what God has done with us here. How He’s used us, molded us. How He’s taken our gifts and put us to work. How He has helped us form friendships, take stands, find jobs, fall more in love.

So wherever we go next, whatever we do next, we have this assurance.

He will do something with us.

Something great. Something beautiful.

He always has been good at that.

I don’t know why I forget.

No comments: