Monday, January 18, 2010

sunday suppers.



As I mentioned, 2010 has me in project mode. Selfishly, chew* was designed for me, to fulfill a need I had. Thankfully, I found others with the same need. I’m confident chew* will be successful, even if no one ever comments, even if we decide to turn it into something private. It will be successful because it’s for us.

This next project is a little different. It’s going to require participation to be anything more than an idea. And, perhaps even more importantly, it’s going to require intense preparation and determination by me.

So here it is:

Sunday suppers.

The concept is simple, and I give Donald Miller the credit. After reading this, I took a look at my resolutions. I needed to find a way to surround them with narrative, to include others in my quest to live simply.

Thanks to Donald (and perhaps divine inspiration, because goodness’ knows my best ideas are never my own), I took this resolution:

Cook more.

And turned it into

Learn to live more simply by sharing meals with our friends.

Once a month, Jordan and I are going to open our home, and I am going to cook. For real and from scratch.

Terrifying, I know.

But I am nothing if not stubborn.

So I will cook an old-fashioned Sunday lunch every four or so weeks with our friends in mind. Specifically, our friends who may not have family or loved ones in town to share a Sunday meal with.

And we want you.

Because I do not want to cook a roast for 8 people and have me and Jordan be the only ones to show up.

Live in Tallahassee and interested? Let me know.

The only requirements are that you a) eat what’s in front of you and at least pretend to like it, and b) contribute to fun, enlightening, encouraging conversation.

The fun begins at the end of this month. I’m praying for success—and a moist roast.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

ANNIE! You have got to be kidding me...after reading the EXACT SAME book (thanks to Jenna's recommendation), I decided almost the EXACT SAME thing!!! Yours looks so much more pulled together than mine though. I'm jealous of your creativity. I read it and thought to myself, I'm not doing enough to connect to others. So I suggested to Matthew that we should invite more people into our home. We've already invited our first couple over. Too bad we don't live near each other. We seriously need to meet! I got to meet Jenna recently so you have to be next!

Was that book not amazing?!?! It was the inspiration and nudging that I needed to share my story. Oh, how I love thee, Donald Miller! I could go on and on about it, but this is long enough.

And now I ask myself once more, why have I neglected my blogging community...I've missed you guys!

Jessica said...

P.S. I am loving your prolific posting these days. Keep it up!

Lindsey said...

I love how you respond to God's nudging so wonderfully. The creativity and hunger he placed in you is brilliant. I'll be praying for these endeavors. Thank you for being so inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the lovely rosemary chicken & potato recipe from HUF. You are good at that one. :)
-leigh