Wednesday, December 2, 2009

book club.



Although I do hate to wish away the time, I am reaching that point in adulthood where I know: Christmas is going to fly by.

Soon it will be 2010, and what do I have to show for it? 

I’m not quite sure. Except, I know at least one resolution I made stuck.

I started a book club. I gathered 11 acquaintances from a variety of places, and we started reading. It’s important to note that, as with so many things my generation chooses to involve itself in, participation in the book club has dwindled.

But we’re still going strong with five active members, and you know what? I like it. I owe book club with helping me get back on the reading bandwagon. After reading solely for requirement during college, I wasn’t quite sure what to do with myself post-graduation. But this past year, I’ve read to my little heart’s content. In book club, we’ve conquered these nine books alone:

- The Shack: I’ll admit that I wasn’t as enthralled as the rest of the religious world. I didn’t find it sacrilegious, nor did I find it super-inspiring. But William Young did get me thinking, and discussion at our first book club was vibrant and opinionated.

- The Time-Traveler’s Wife: Not everyone loved this book (it’s pretty lengthy for someone to tackle in four-to-six weeks’ time), but I thought it was just beautiful. I highly recommend.

- The Little Lady Agency: This book was a club favorite; it probably best fits in the category called “chick lit,” but no matter: it was the perfect fit for our club after two heavy reads.

- Two Rivers: One of two books I think our entire club failed to read in its entirety. I couldn’t tell you what it was about, but I can tell you that I rarely give up on a book, and I gave up on this one without even giving it much of a chance.

- My Sister’s Keeper: This was my first-ever Jodi Picoult book, and I liked it. I finished it quickly, and I even wound up crying on an airplane on my way home from a business trip. Clearly, Picoult does her job well. I will say that I was entirely disappointed by the movie version. Do not waste your time.

- The Memory Keeper’s Daughter: I had my doubts as one of our members remembered this book becoming a Lifetime movie, but I thought it was pretty good. At this point, though, I did begin noticing a trend: dysfunctional families are the subject of many a good read.

- The Elegance of the Hedgehog: The only other book club book I couldn’t bring myself to finish (though it wasn’t due to lack of trying). I tried and tried with this book, but just could not tackle it! I read philosophy books out the wazoo in college with little trouble, but this philosophy text disguised as fiction could not be conquered. I’m stubborn, though, so I may attempt its completion at a later date. If you’ve read it, please: give me your secret!

- The Nanny Diaries: Surprisingly, I’d seen the movie before I’d ever even heard of the book; I’d loved Scarlett Johansson’s rendition, though, so I figured the book would be even better. I was right. If you’re looking for a fun holiday read for those long car rides, take this one along.

- Whistling in the Dark: A good choice that I probably would never have picked out of my own accord. That’s the beauty of book club, isn’t it?

Nine books in one year, and these are just what our book club chose to tackle. I’ve got to put together a list of the books I’ve read this year; there have been some good ones. 

Our little club is hoping for a few more members to start 2010, and we’re already getting ready to vote on our new book. I'm curious; which would you choose?

How to Be Good by Nick Hornby
The Likeness by Tana French
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom

No comments: