Thursday, September 24, 2009

my turn.

You didn't think I could let my husband be the only one to discuss this huge landmark in our married/dating lives, did you? 

I didn't think so. 

Without further ado, some photos. Because I am a visual learner, and you probably are too: 


{You may want to click these photos to enlarge them for your viewing pleasure.}

In 2004, I met a dorky kid named Jordan. I say dorky in the nicest way possible, and because it's true. We decided, after meeting, that each of us fit soundly into one of three categories: dork, nerd, or geek. Jordan labeled himself a dork, and me a nerd. I didn't argue. 

Because, like I said, it's true. 

But there was more to Jordan than Star Wars and poker tournaments, this I knew. He could also throw a mean football (though, sadly, he underestimated my own throwing arm. Silly, Jordan. Girls can throw too!) and could talk my ears off. Which was fine, because I preferred to listen. His accent fascinated me into silence anyway. 

Jordan claims that every guy on Faulkner's campus had a crush on me. This is a gross exaggeration, but I can see why he would have come to that conclusion. (See above photo for evidence. Because, alas, that is not Jordan's curly-headed mop.) I'm pretty sure before Jordan met me, he didn't realize girls and guys could just be friends. And before I met Jordan, I didn't realize they couldn't. So I continued my male friendships, while Jordan quietly observed. And then went in for the kill. 

On September 23, I joined Jordan at church. Kappa kind of made us. But they didn't make Jordan provide bubble gum. Which he did. A yellow piece with a smiley face. Pretty thoughtful for a guy who had "never dated." (For the record, as I have mentioned to Jordan, dating can involve $500 worth of text messages and an invitation to prom from Miss Alabama Teen. So, yeah. I'm pretty sure Jordan did indeed date. Just saying.)

What Jordan failed to mention in his email commemorating these five years of dating, is that September 23 is just the day we selected as our anniversary. Because, quite frankly, we just couldn't figure out when we went from being "just friends" to a little something more. 

Except, I kind of remember. It involved Jordan specifically telling me: "So, you know I want to be more than just friends, right?"

And then his mom called. 

Yep. I remember that. And I remember saying, "Me too."

And that is, as they say, the rest of the story.


*Also, as a side note, does anyone know where I could get a watch like the one I'm sporting in the photo above? I'm pretty sure that was a Mary-Kate and Ashley brand purchase. You know, from Wal-mart. Please tell me you know what I'm talking about...
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi

It is a pleasure to read your blog - I happened upon it by going from blog to blog in google....
I now keep it in my favorites.