Tuesday, August 11, 2009

i am second.

A few weeks back, I had the opportunity to speak to a group of teenage girls in Valdosta.

Preparation for this particular weekend was kind of challenging; I couldn't figure out what it was I wanted to say.

What God wanted me to say.

So in the midst of getting my thoughts together, I began searching. Digging online for something, anything that might get my attention.

Then I found it. This website. It said just what I wanted to say. Just what I'd been looking for.


Sometimes, I think churches get marketing all wrong. Okay, a lot of times. Almost all the time.

But I kind of think this church in Texas might be doing something right.

Because, isn't faith basically this:

That we are second.

That we are bottom-of-the-food-chain, last-in-line, you-go-first kind of people?

Because One man came to earth to be that for us?

So, I don't really know what exactly this church is doing

Or if they're marketing is working

But I do know

That it got my attention.

That it reminded me of who exactly I'm supposed to be.

Last.

Check the website out. Watch the videos. Some of them are pretty touching.

As I watched, I remembered

As Christians, we're all so very different

Different backgrounds

Different struggles

Different gifts

Talents

Abilities

Dreams

Plans

But we have our God in common

Our God who sent His Son to the earth

Not just to die for us (though that would have been more than enough)

But to be second.

His Son became second

To everyone He saw

Talked to

Touched.

And now it's my turn.

I am second.

It's a nice reminder,

and I hope it's more than just a motto.

I hope it's what I'm living.

I am second.

I hope.

---

My personal favorite "I Am Second" video?

This one by my all-time favorite Idol contestant, Jason Castro.



No comments: