Thursday, July 9, 2009

no boundaries.

Print from {Etsy}

Do you ever just have one of those days?

The kind where things fall apart.

Where you wonder what exactly it is you do every day.

And why.

Well, I’ve had one of those days.

And as I drove to lunch this afternoon, I found myself thinking:

If I had no boundaries*, what would I do?

And I think I came up with a pretty accurate list.

If I could, I would:

- Live in Italy for six months to a year

- Quit my job and go back to school for my grad degree

- Research, write, and edit stories

- Take a photography class

- Buy fresh fruit and vegetables from the farmer’s market

- Eat gelato every day

- Explore the world of graphic design further

- Re-enter the magazine world, which I miss more than I’d like to admit

- Put flowers in every vase I own

- Learn Italian

- Buy handmade everything

- Write, write, write

- Watch all the movies on my list

- Read, read, read

- Travel cross country

- Use pretty stationery

- Make friends with people who will return my friendship

- Remove from my life those who rob me of my joy

- Find a job where I can do what I really love

- Teach English and the love of reading to someone who needs it

- Say no to the commitments I don't want to make

- Spend more one-on-one time with my Father

In all actuality, I could be accomplishing some of these things right now. And honestly, those that I can't do right now I could easily plan to do in the future. I've got boundaries-- we all do-- but I think we're only bound by what we allow to bind us.

Does that make sense?

Without boundaries and commitments, what would you do? If you thought really hard, could you begin accomplishing those dreams now?

I think I could.

We have the power to make things happen. Why do I so easily forget that?


The boundaries I’m referring to include, but are not limited to: finances, jobs, my husband’s schooling, the apartment we just began renting... The list goes on and on.

3 comments:

Chet said...

get a vintage motorcycle and drive across the country.

never, EVER, shave.

completely remove myself from the grid, become entirely self sufficient somewhere in the Appalacian Mountains.

skate, skate, skate.

Anonymous said...

That would be the life! Love your new townhouse! Beautiful!

Meredith

jenna said...

"..we are only bound by the things we allow to bind us.."

So true. I have especially noticed that to be true in my life recently. There's been a lot going on (I'm sure you've noticed my lack of blogging. We need to catch up soon.), and I have had a lot on my mind. A lot of reflection on how things should be... in my life, in the ministry I've been placed in, in so many things.... And in all of these areas I find myself frustrated with boundaries.

sigh....

I like this post.