Monday, March 2, 2009

slow down, you move too fast.

Photo from here.


I've come down with a cold, and no wonder. My calendar looks like a kindergartner took a few colorful Crayolas to it. I sort of feel like my life has spiraled out of control, and I'm not quite sure how to stop it.

A couple of weeks ago, I read this post on the Apron Stage, and ever since I've been contemplating my own Life Bankruptcy. I fear I'm missing the enjoyable things in life by over-committing myself. Are the things I'm committed to important? Yes. But there are better things. And it's time I began focusing on those instead.

I've tried to determine where this tendency, this "I-can't-say-no" part of me comes from. Is it my gender? My birth order? My personality?

I'm not sure, but ultimately, it doesn't matter. I've got to give my brain, my body, my committments a rest.

So, come March 15, I will be a new woman. Travels with work will be behind me, and I plan on completing my current committments by that date. From that point forward, I'm going to limit the number of "yeses" that flow from my mouth. I'll still have a to-do list, and my planner will undoubtedly be full; it's just part of who I am. But there's another part of me: a part that wants some peace and quiet.

And I'm going to pay more attention to that part as the spring season heads my way. It's time for a new start. I'm ready.


*Found: Sarah Jessica Parker's tips for slowing down. They're actually pretty good...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I am going to hold you to and help you with this. It can be hard to unbusify:) yourself, but it's worth it. I try to picture times when I have been in perfect relaxation and tranquility and then compare my current situation to that. The contrast usually helps me slow it waaay down. It's still hard to say no, I usually begin with an apology, but I have learned it will still get done, and the Earth will still keep spinning and that people are actually really understanding. See you once your schedule slows down!
Sabrina