Tuesday, January 20, 2009

weekend update.


Some lessons to be learned from my weekend:

- Never rely on PowerPoint to get across your message. Inevitably, it will fail you.

- High school girls aren’t nearly as intimidating as they used to be. You know, back when you were in high school. Nowadays, they just make you feel old.

- Be proud of where you went to school. Even if most people have never heard of it, it is your school, and you did a lot of growing up there. Be grateful for your roots (even if they involve a cappella singing groups).

- Always leave a pair of tennis shoes at the in-laws house. Always.

- Picking up litter is now considered the highest of moral excellence.

- Not everyone enjoys the significance of historical events like I do. (Husband would rather do homework than watch the inauguration. Problem? I should say so.)

I spent the weekend in Montgomery at my alma mater, speaking to high school girls on the overwhelming topic of God’s incredible love. It was a fun weekend, and despite some PowerPoint malfunctioning, I think I did a good job (or, rather, I did a good job through God’s power). I think God gave me a gift, and I hope the coming year brings more opportunities to use it for Him. I'm excited about what the future may hold!

Jordan and I also spent some time with the in-laws this weekend. Jordan’s granddad celebrated his 70th birthday, and it was a pleasure to be together with him. Plus, Jordan’s parents introduced us to the fine art of geocaching, which I highly recommend for the adventurous spirit looking for a little time in the great outdoors. Aside from having to wear Jordan’s mother’s hiking boots (hence lesson number four, above), it was an enjoyable experience that I intend to repeat with Jordan in Tallahassee. Despite what my Wii Fit age might lead you to believe, I do love time well-spent in God’s creation (even if it involves exercise).

We got home yesterday in time for Jordan to catch up on some homework and for me to catch up on some TV watching (True Beauty, anyone? Again, see lesson five, above). It was a joy-filled whirlwind of a weekend, and I'm happy to be back home.

And, husband missed this, but that doesn’t mean you should too. Love him or hate him, the new President can give a speech (full text here), and the events of today are certainly historic. His inaugural address is worth watching, and the actions of his Presidency are worth praying for.

“Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions – who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage."

-President Barack Obama

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I like your new page look. I thought it was quite moving to be a part of such a historical moment yesterday. I definitely watched.

jenna said...

Boo on faulty powerpoint but yay for geocaching! I have always wanted to do that!

And I agree with Jessica; the new page is so cute! How are you making this awesome title thingys? I can't seem to it out. (I also never figured out how to get my counter onto my page.... sigh... haha)

Annie said...

Aw, thanks to you both! You can see where I got the header design in my new post (the link to Delicious Design studios is there). They have a couple of cute free headers, and this is one of them!

Jenna, if you find one you like, I could put your title and stuff in it for you! I'm becoming a blogger whiz (kind of)!

And I loved being a part of history yesterday! One day, I'll tell my kids I watch President Obama's inauguration in my company's conference room. Good times... :)

Chet said...

Are you wearing camouflage?
Annie, that is a BIG no no. I don't care whose wardrobe you had to raid.

Annie said...

Yes, that is camo. I mean, I had nothing to wear. What was I supposed to do?! You should have seen the boots… They looked like the ones we used to wear when went hiking… Only these were grown-up sized. Anyway, look up geocaching. I think you’d like it.