Wednesday, December 3, 2008

the i-can't-wait kind of waiting


My last post, I realize, may have sounded a little whiny. Especially since this year, I’m one of the “lucky” ones: at least I have a job. And you know what? It’s actually pretty nice.

In reality, I’m doing a couple of the items listed in my letter, and many of the other things I thankfully have time to accomplish outside of my 8-to-5. I feel a little silly now, complaining about a job I actually don’t mind, a job I’m blessed to have. I’ve only been in this working world for ten months or so, and I’ve got to tell you, it’s been an adjustment. But I have a feeling that where I am right now is the best place for me to be. (I had this revelation even before I found out last night that so many of my former Coastal Living co-workers lost their jobs yesterday.) This past January, I waited for a job, and God provided. He’s been good to me; if He wants me to wait for something else to come along, then waiting is what I’ll do.

Which got me thinking: we spend a lot of our lives waiting, don’t we? Waiting for a spouse, waiting for a job, for a raise. Waiting for events to take place. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

This month, I’m devoting myself to a season of waiting. Not waiting like “I’m-in-line-at-security-at-the-airport-and-I-just-want-to-get-on-my-flight” waiting. But “waiting-in-anticipation-because-I’m-so-excited-I-can’t-stand-it” waiting. I’m waiting for God to do things, change things. I’m waiting for Christ to come, not just to this world, but to my heart.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been trying to pray the Hours, or maybe it’s the fact that I want to start some Christmas traditions of my very own, but this year I’ve found myself with an increased interest in the season of Advent. (Thanks, Betsy, for helping me in my little quest!) Advent, I have learned, is all about the celebration of waiting. Remembering the anticipation that came with waiting for the Christ-child. Waiting for God to grace us with His physical presence again. And waiting for Him to enter His throne in our individual lives.

This Sunday, Jordan and I are going to attend an advent service at a local church. I’m so excited; I can’t wait to report back what we learn and discover. I’m also seriously considering making a lot of my gifts this year, to get back into the true spirit of the holiday season. I love giving things, and I feel like I’m a great gift-giver. But why not mix things up a little, and give less of my money but more of myself? Want to know what I mean? Check this out:

So, in this season of Advent, I’m celebrating the act of waiting. Celebrate with me. I think it’s going to be the start of a pretty incredible adventure.

4 comments:

Chet said...

Why is Buckethead sitting backwards in a truck?

Betsy said...

Wow, that video is powerful!

I will most definitely be celebrating this Advent season with you. I have no doubt that God is going to speak, move, and teach. It makes me excited just thinking about it :)

jenna said...

I want to hear more about what you are discovering about Advent! Teach me!

Cory said...

Annie,
Let me begin by saying, "HOW ON EARTH DID I NOT KNOW YOU HAD A BLOG UNTIL TODAY?" It's a treasure box.

That being said, I completely ravenously ate it up just now. It took me about an hour to read your beautiful words. On countless occassions, I did all of the following:

a) smiled
b) laughed
c) cried
d) "me too!" -ed
e) missed you

I hope that reading your thoughts and feeling like I get to catch up with you this way doesn't replace genuine communication with you. Let's be better about that, Mrs. Jones!