Monday, May 11, 2015

spoken in the shop, vol. 22.



On books as temptation
Customer, with large stack of books in hand: "Someone ought to lock me up!"
Me: "You know, there are worse vices to have."
Customer: "True. The problem is, I'm going to drink at least a glass of wine with each of these."

|||

On a chocolate's worth
Customer, after eating one of our shop's truffles: "You know, when you said three dollars, I thought, 'How can y'all screw people like that?' But then I tasted it, and I understand."

|||

On "you are what you read"
Customer: "I'm reading this book you recommended, and all of the short stories are about infidelity. You're not thinking of pulling the plug, are you?"

|||

On Mother's Day gift-giving
Manager: "Are we getting a gift card today?" 
Dad: "Yes, we are making no decision." 
Son: "This is a decision." 
Dad: "No, a gift card is not a decision." 
 Son: "Yes, it is. I could have chosen a Target gift card or a Wal-Mart gift card or a Bookshelf gift card, and I chose The Bookshelf. It was a decision."

|||

On sneezing etiquette
"I must be allergic to something in here. I've gotta quit trying to stifle it; sounds like it's coming out the other end!"

|||

On one-stop shopping
"Oh my gosh, you have chocolate, too?  You're complete!"

|||

On fashion
Teenage girl to employee: "Oh, I love your necklace!"
Employee: "Well, thank you!"
Girl, mournfully: "You have such great style."
Employee: "Oh, thank you so much, but you do, too! I love your dress."
Girl: "Oh, my mom made me wear this."

|||

On destruction of property
Customer: "What's wrong with your chairs?"
Me: "Oh, I think sadly someone's begun peeling the leather off." 
Customer: "Well, they look like they've been mutilated."

|||

On the perfect present
"Cookbooks are the gift that gives back to you. Now my mom can make me something."

|||

On mission-making
Young girl: "Excuse me; where is your children's section?"
Me: "Oh, let me show you. It's this whole back part of the store, first picture books, then middle reader books, where your kind of books are."
Girl, wide-eyed, pauses, then claps hands twice. "Let's do this."

1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

That last one absolutely made my day. :)

xox