Thursday, September 12, 2013

one season to the next.


The heat of summer is still settled comfortably in my neck of the woods, but on Tuesday, Jordan and I sat outside for lunch, and there was a breeze in the air, and the sky was cloudless, and I promise you: It felt like fall. 

And I understand you might not be ready for it. Maybe summer was really good to you, and you're not ready for monotony of the routine or the crunch of the leaves or the chill in the air. You miss the beach, and pumpkin lattes aren't really your thing. 

I get it; I do. 

But for those of us who have endured sweltering heat, swarms of countless lovebugs, and humidity so thick you can't breathe? For us, fall is a welcome, a needed, change. For me, fall is a gift. The transition into a new season is necessary, and -- as is often nature's way -- it's coming at just the right time. 

This summer (and this is news to no one, but I think it bears repeating) has been immensely difficult for our family. Buying a business, moving to a small town, losing friends to new adventures... it's been tough. Any one of those things would have been challenging enough on their own, but having to endure all three has felt positively monumental. 

I don't want the summer of 2013 to be a wash. I don't want to look back and only remember the stresses, the roller coaster of emotions, the sleepless nights and tearful outbursts. 

Instead, I want to remember a Sunday spent in Seaside with my cousins. I want to remember my family's weekend at the lake. I want to remember riding in the car with Jordan, sharing Twizzlers, laughing at the days to come. I want to remember rainy days and wildflowers popping up in our garden and home-grown tomatoes. I want to remember late nights and beach days and Pretty Little Liars marathons. I want to remember dreaming out loud and rolling with the punches and being brave. 

Today, I feel so hopeful for what's to come.

Jordan started his new job this week, and his happiness was the only proof I needed to know we'd made the right decision there. 

We were supposed to sign our final partnership agreement for the business yesterday, but that hasn't been able to happen just yet, and you know what? That's okay. What will be, will be, and all that jazz. We're doing the best we can, and in the meantime, I'm working so hard to make the business profitable and fun, both for me and for the people who enter its doors.

There's a little yellow house downtown that's caught my eye, but our scheduled appointment this week fell through, and the summer has taught me to take things one day at a time. For now, the dream of owning our own home is good enough. The rest will fall into place. 

The truth is, nothing has really changed. Jordan and I are still facing challenges and decisions and frustrations. But maybe my perspective has changed? Maybe summer prepared me for fall, and now I'll be able to enjoy my favorite season in all its glory. 

Maybe this is how life is supposed to be, one season at a time.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Hi Annie! I'm a newcomer to your blog which I found through Fran, and I just wanted to let you know how much I've been enjoying it. Your writing just draws me in, and I of course love the book recommendations. So happy to have found you and your blog!

Brittany said...

It is how life is supposed to be, I'm sure of it. And you know you don't need to convince me of the virtues of fall. Loved this, Annie.

Alita said...

I'm not quite sure how I found your blog; however I do know that I subscribed and I saw your link and followed it and immediately felt welcome.

One season at a time is how I take life. Except the winter. I think I would like to skip winter. Change is a good thing.

And you are right. What will be, will be. I liked these thoughts.