Friday, January 27, 2012

for the birthday.



Now that I've been blogging for a bit (nearly five years!), I try to avoid posting wish lists and my findings from the world wide web. Lots of other blogs do that, and they do it well. I make it a goal to stick to story-telling and to observation-making as much as I possibly can.

I hope you'll indulge me today.

Next week, I turn 26 years old, and for the first time in a long time, I just don't have much planned. I do, though, have a few things I wouldn't mind unwrapping this year, and I thought I'd share them here (despite my aforementioned editorial policy).

Without further ado, a birthday wishlist. 1. A Fabric-and-Handle bag that can transition from winter to spring. 2. A new pair of tennis shoes to run and exercise in (with bright orange laces, please). 3. A Falling Whistle necklace. More on the heartbreaking cause can be found on the organization's website. 4. A classic signet ring from, where else, J. Crew. 5. Gold flatware perfect for parties. I visited a West Elm store last weekend in Jacksonville, and I've kind of been obsessed ever since. 6. An exercise mat to use during my Bar Method DVD (more coming on this next week). 7. I'm thinking I maybe want an iPhone (and this pretty case). Here's the thing: I want to have an iPhone without becoming an iPhone person. Is it possible to have a smart phone without constantly whipping it out during dinners and conversations with friends? 8. A lovely pair of earrings. 9. A FashionABLE scarf. I got an infinity scarf for Christmas that I love, but I'm kind of digging the stripes on this one. 10. This shift dress is both trendy and timeless. 11. I've been ready to read An Altar in the World since I finished Leaving Church back in November. 12. It's time for a new wallet, and I think this one would do the trick nicely.

It's the iPhone that's the most unrealistic, and ironically, it's the wishlist item I'm still a little hesitant about (I think I get some sort of pride out of not having a smart phone just yet), but I have to admit: There are times it would certainly come in handy. Otherwise, I think this list pretty much covers my current wants (and a couple of needs).

---

So you've seen the wishlist. Now forget the gifts, and tell me: What's a girl to do to celebrate her 26th birthday?

3 comments:

brie. said...

i went for lunch with friends, to church and then had drinks after church with some friends, where my now-husband showed up (we'd been friends for years) and it sort of started the beginning of all that is now. love the ideas. and yes you can have an iphone without become obsessed, because it sure is handy for lots of other stuff! interested to hear about the bar method...!

Cindy P said...

My 26th is Monday! I'm not having a "formal" celebration of sorts but tonight my husband and I are going to the Baltimore Aquarium (I've been wanting to go for ages!) and tomorrow we've got my company's holiday party. Then Sunday we're having a mini get together with my family and another family who practically is family. My actual birthday though won't be so celebratory. Both Collin and I work and he is scheduled til 7:30 so my parents are taking me out to dinner so I'm not alone!

I hope you find something fun and exciting to do. Even if it's just something with you and Jordan that you've been wanting to do for a while.

Also, get an iPhone. I just got mine in November (it was my first smartphone, too) and it's amazing. It has definitely come in handy numberous times and I can't imagine going back to a regular phone.

Steph said...

I can't even remember my 26th, it was far too long ago...Just kidding (kinda). For my 26th birthday, I had a big celebration watching The Dark Knight and eating at Olive Garden with about 20 close friends. It was a grand time because the 8-Ball always responded with 'Yes' if anyone asked it if I would die before I was 26. So...that was exciting to make it! (Random story, sorry, I digress.)

I think your wish list is simply fab. I have had my smartphone for over a year, and while it comes in handy more often than not, it is quite addictive to hold in my hand sometimes. But with practice and preparation I have faith that you can own one without being an iPhone junkie. I will say that I will probably go back to a regular phone when this one dies, though.

Also, I heard about those scarves for the first time in December and they are simply awesome.

Have a wonderful day!