Monday, January 31, 2011

reading recap: january.

My eyes burn just thinking about how much I read this month. There's no explanation for the influx, really, except maybe a lack of graduate school, an unbelievable amount of cold weather, and perhaps a new-found tendency to ignore (or turn down) commitments. I'm sure February won't be so lucky.





Book: Barrel Fever
Finished: Early January

I'm a David Sedaris fan, but Barrel Fever seemed a little bit lacking. There were funny stories, to be sure -- Sedaris' wit has bite and never fails to produce at least a few snorts, eye rolls, and giggles -- but it just didn't grab my attention like his other works I've read. Plus, I found myself a little turned off by the crass nature of some of the stories. If you read Sedaris, you know he can be a bit out there, but a couple of the stories in Barrel Fever crossed a line for me. Anyway, not sure I'd recommend this one, though I still think Holidays on Ice and Me Talk Pretty One Day are worth reading.

---


Book: I'd Know You Anywhere
Finished: Early January

This was our January book club book, and I'll admit, I was expecting something darker given the subject matter. The main character is forced to relive her weeks spent as a hostage with the town crazy, yet seems completely unaffected by the traumatic experience. Our group concurred that we had trouble identifying with Lippman's main character, and we never felt like the book reached any kind of climax. I certainly didn't think this was a waste of time (and it was a quick, easy read for me), but I've read thrillers done far better.

---


Finished: Early January

This one had been on my nightstand for ages, but I'd read mixed reviews, and the first couple of times I picked it up, I had trouble getting into it. Over the holidays, I tried again, and I liked it. Some of the scenes are graphic, which I didn't really think would be any problem, but this is the first book I've had nightmares during, so you tell me. The plot twisted and turned in all the right places; I had trouble figuring out what might happen next, so I was kept on my toes throughout the novel. I fell in love with the strength and tenacity of Lisbeth, and I quickly dove into book two...

---



Finished: Mid-January

I wasn't as impressed with The Girl Who Played with Fire. Maybe it's reading a book that's been translated into English, but Larsson's prose seems so tedious. It felt like pages upon pages were devoted to descriptions of things like Ikea purchases... details that never, ever came into play later. I still like Lisbeth, and I'm curious to find out what happens to her (I've yet to read book three), but the sequel was not nearly as much of a page-turner as book one. 

---


Book: This Is Where I Leave You
Finished: Late January

I will confess: I am a book whore. What I mean is, even when I am absolutely broke, I will buy a book. I literally cannot go into a bookstore -- especially a smaller, locally owned bookstore -- without leaving with something. So on a trip to Seaside with friends, I picked up This Is Where I Leave You, based solely on the cover. (I'm also a sucker for a good book cover.) The store owner applauded my choice, but... I don't know. This wasn't my favorite. In fact, I'll confess that I'm kind of bummed I bought it. There were parts that were laugh-out-loud funny, and I really did care what happened to the main character and his crazy family, but something about it was just off for me. Anyone else read it? Maybe you can tell me why I didn't like it. It's like all the pieces were there for me to enjoy it (goofy premise, dysfunctional family, well-written one-liners), but something just didn't add up.

---



Finished: Late January

Jordan and I wanted to get in the habit of reading together, so last year (!) we bought Mathilda Savitch (my choice. Jordan would have had us reading some Star Wars prequel) from the Barnes and Noble staff recommendations table. I loved the way this was written, and even though it took us forever to finish, we both agreed it was time well-spent. You'll fall in love with Mathilda's quirky voice (she serves as the story's narrator), and you'll care deeply what happens to her. I really enjoy when authors climb inside someone else's head to tell a story, and hearing life's details described by this cynical adolescent kept me wanting more. Instead of really peaking in terms of plot, the book kind of just flows; Lodato does an excellent job of piecing the plot together in a slow, deliberate way without being boring or tedious, or leading his audience on. Highly recommend.

---



Finished: Late January

Illusions came to me highly recommended, which means it was either going to be really good, or I was going to hate it. I loved it. Really, really loved it. I've even been tempted to squeeze in a second reading before returning it to my friend (it's a really quick read... like couple of hours quick). It's not like Bach is introducing anything new here; there are countless stories of messiahs and sacrificial lambs already in existence (probably because these are the stories that work; our Creator told one best). I just loved the style, the poetry mixed in with the prose, the common sense worded in a way that sounded groundbreaking and new. (It reminded me a lot of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which I loved, but I'm still not sure if the comparison is accurate or just in my head.) I've never read anything else by Bach, so I've nothing to really compare Illusions to, but I can see why my friend sets aside time to read this book every year. It's chock full of truths, statements that make you question and rethink the life you're living and why you're living it that way. Highly recommend.

---


Book: Traveling Mercies
Finished: Late January

How had I never read this before? I actually checked it out from the library months ago, but never got around to it (thank you, graduate school). I'm so glad I bought it instead. Lamott writes beautifully, exquisitely, describing her faith in ways I only wish I could. And regardless of what you think about Lamott's politics or even the faith she's chosen for herself, you have to acknowledge: She's got a lot of things right. Things like grace and sacrament and God showing up even when we don't, about God weaving Himself into the tapestries of our stories, even stories about frizzy hair and bratty children and people who abuse their dogs. This book: It was so good. I don't really even know what to say about it, except read it, and tell me what you think. Because this is the kind of book you want to talk about. (Or it's the kind of book you want to keep to yourself, and treasure... Then share, when your heart's ready. Do you know what I mean?)

---



Finished: Late January

Okay, now here's the bad part: For as much as I loved Lamott's essays, I kind of hated her fiction. In fact, I finished this book in 24 hours not because I couldn't put it down, but because I absolutely had to finish it, get rid of it, stop reading it. I think a lot of my hatred of Imperfect Birds could be pinned to the fact that I didn't really relate to a single character. (Anna Quindlen, I think, does a far better job of uncovering family issues, of writing about parents and children and loss and hurt and confrontation.) That, and it was all about drugs. Lots of drugs. And I know nothing about drugs. If it wasn't covered in the D.A.R.E. program or a recent Dateline episode, I am completely inept. So to have to painfully read through the trials of a teen lying and stealing her way through her addiction wasn't eye-opening or enlightening; it was disturbing and depressing. In addition -- and this may be the real problem -- I kept waiting for something to happen. I'm not saying every book has to have a clear climactic moment (Mathilda Savitch didn't), but the plot just seemed to plod along, and the moment never came. (Note: I bought Imperfect Birds without knowing a thing about it, simply because a) I was at a local bookstore, and b) This was an autographed copy. More proof that I am a book whore.) Wouldn't really recommend this one.

Favorite Books for January: Illusions and Traveling Mercies
Least Favorites: Imperfect Birds and This Is Where I Leave You

2 comments:

Staley Mc said...

I've been wanting to read the Dragon Tattoo books but just haven't picked them up yet. I read This is Where I Leave You last summer and I kind of liked it but I have a pretty crazy/dysfunctional family so I could kind of relate but I felt like the ending was kind of off. It's being made into a movie so I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Jessica said...

wow! i'm impressed! that's a lot of reading!