Monday, November 15, 2010

happy birthday, brother.


I know.

I used this photo last year.

But I just love it that much.

And it's my blog, so if I want to reuse a picture, well... I'll reuse it.

There are a lot of things I'm grateful for this month, but over the weeks, it's become so very clear what an incredible blessing my family is in my life.

As you grow up and older, I guess you start to realize that not everyone has good, supportive, funny, engaging families, and that if yours is, you are one of the lucky ones.

I'm a lucky one.

For a lot of reasons, but especially because today is my brother's birthday.

I often say that the thing that prepared me most for marriage was a brother.

After all, thanks to Chet, I'm used to boxers being all over the bathroom floor. I'd seen Star Wars and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I enjoy watching SportsCenter. I was accustomed to all the boy things that my friends with sisters are missing out on.

A recent article in the New York Times made the claim that people with sisters are happier.

I sent the story to Chet, as proof that I deserve the credit for any happiness he possesses.

But I actually think that I'm a really happy person.

And a lot of that, I think, has to do with having a brother

Who got in trouble at the dinner table and makes us all laugh and is constantly wearing some kind of cast.

Who buys guns and kayaks and possesses spiritual maturity and unique political views.

So happy birthday, brother. May 22 bring you all kinds of adventures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

all right, I felt obligated to jump over from my email to your physical blog and comment and tell you that I love you. Thanks for the birthday blog...and lunch...and the FSU tickets...and being awesome!

Mom said...

Chet may spend alot of time in a cast; but, he keeps the rest of the family in stitches! :)
I LOVE MY CHILDREN!!!!!

XXOO