Monday, June 8, 2009

life lessons.

These first few months of marriage have taught me something.

I am one selfish human being.

It didn’t hit me until I got married. And now I realize, every day, just how self-centered I am.

Case in point: in six months of marriage and countless trips to the grocery store, I have never thought to purchase ketchup. I don’t like ketchup. Never have. So for months, ketchup has stayed on the Wal-Mart shelf, right where I knew it belonged.

Little leftover ketchup packets began to randomly appeared in our pantry after trips to Sonic and Whataburger. I’d throw them away. What are those doing around here? I’d wonder.

After all, I hate ketchup.

It wasn’t until a couple of weeks ago that I realized: Jordan loves ketchup.

Oh, I knew that he liked ketchup. I’ve heard “Hamburger, ketchup and tomato only” more times than I can count.

But I never once thought to buy ketchup for us to keep in the house.

Because I don’t like it.

And if I don’t like it, why do we need it?

See how selfish I am?

My week at the beach was just further proof of my selfishness. I spent seven days relaxing in the sand and the surf while watching my mother and my aunts take care of my aging grandmother—and each other.

Getting her pills together. Taking her to the bathroom. Cleaning her clothes. Listening to her stories. Watching her every move.

As I watched, I would send up silent prayers. Forgive me for my lack of patience. Help me to be that generous with my time and energy. Please allow me to have inherited a little bit of that grace.

Taking care of another person is exhausting, patience-draining work. The looks on my mom's and aunts' faces are proof. But I also know that it’s rewarding. And, quite frankly, it’s just the right thing to do.

I want to show that kind of patience, that kind of love. To my husband, to my parents, to my family, and to coworkers. Even to people I don’t know so well. Even if it’s undeserved.

So tonight, I’ll take the first step. I’ll go grocery shopping. And I’ll buy the best bottle of ketchup our money can afford.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm glad you're back. You've been missed! Hope your week was fabulous!